Thursday, October 6, 2011

Daily Devotion

Devise Your Defense

Ephesians 6:10-18 NIV

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

I know I have not written in a long time, and truthfully it was because my thoughts were on my own situation, and during my hiatus I have been able to draw closer to God.  However, He quickly brought to mind that this is something that I should be doing, because not only does it help me, but I have the fortune of helping others.  I pray that all is well with each of you and that God has been keeping you in the interim.

The scriptures referenced above are most frequently referenced when a pastor does a sermon or series on spiritual warfare.  They do prove most appropriate in that context because it tells you who your true enemy is and how God has equipped you to be a victor.  Lately I have had to realize just who my enemy is.  He has roamed about like a lion, jumping from person to person that unknowingly allowed themselves to be used.  Some close to me and not so close have all played the puppet and it has served as a discouragement to me.  But once I realized that it wasn't the people (rather it was their own sin that made them susceptible to being used by the enemy) but the enemy trying to keep me from my destiny, I had the heart to pray for the people and myself.  See as long as you are focused on what the person did to you and not how you may have played a part in contributing to what they did, you will not be able to see what God wants you to see.  I had to look at each situation in two ways: 1: that the enemy was trying to discourage me but 2: that I had helped to contribute to the situation!  In a defensive strategy, you cannot have any holes or else the other side will break through!

It took me going to God and asking Him to show me myself for me to forgive the people and actually come to a place of prayer for them.  But I had to really see through the people to the devil trying to knock me back to who I used to be.  So in devising your defense, you have to have your best player (Jesus) involved.  You have to know the playbook (the Word--the scriptures to confess and how to use them against your opponent).  You have to know your weaknesses (how you may be contributing to the situations that are happening; what sin have you not acknowledged in your life) and that is where you get your best player to fortify you at.  You must definitely recognize and know your opponent because you aren't fighting against that physical person, but as said above, against principalities and evil rulers in high places (the devil).  Listen to your coach (God) and don't be defeated--because your best player already won!

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."  1 Cor 15:57 KJV

No comments: