Friday, February 19, 2010

Daily Devotion

Living in the Promise
 
"The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life."  Psalm 121:7
 
I have not written a devotion in a while...life has just been so eventful.  I have written down every topic that has come to mind though.  Wednesday was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the 40-day period prior to Easter.  I decided that I would make an effort to attend Bible Study every week--and I decided to give up doubt and stress.  I will remind myself that God is in control and not to doubt Him in any situation.
 
I read Psalm 121 yesterday--the lyrics to a beautiful song called "My Help" sung by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir.  It says "I will lift up mine eyes to the hills from whence cometh my help.  My help cometh from the Lord, the Lord who made heaven and earth."  Psalm 121:1-2.
 
Reading this gave me peace and calmed my spirit.  Because the Lord promises to keep our lives and keep us from evil, I cannot be afraid.  Because God gives us help--Christ to redeem us from the curse, and the Holy Spirit to guide our foot steps--I have no need to doubt or fret.  Living in the promise means giving it--whatever that "it" may be--fully to God for His work to be done with it.  He tells us He will keep our lives--by keep I think He means everything in our lives, providing our needs, carrying our burdens, being our comfort in times of pain.  The rest of the scriptures tell a little more of what God plans to do in keeping our lives:  He will not allow the sun or moon to strike us, He will keep us from evil (the principle thing He did with the sacrifice of Christ) and He will keep your goings and comings indefinitely--the scripture says from this time on and forevermore.  So you are protected all around in every way possible.
 
To live in that promise simply fulfills my decision to give up doubt for Lent; I am drawing nearer to God and allowing Him to keep my life, thus not doubting His abilities in any circumstance I face.
 
I hope this blesses you!
 

No comments: