Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Daily Devotion

Keep Praying Until

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."  Philippians 4:6 NASB

I had to look up what the word supplication meant.  There are a lot of words in the Bible that I am a little vague on the meanings, and this has always been one of them.  Fortunately, I was able to read the commentary on the scripture as it broke it down into sections, and thus defined what supplication meant.  I also read a few other translations and discovered they used petition instead.  I have read this scripture countless times and I did not fully grasp the meaning of it until today.  I have been uncertain about many aspects of my life lately.  I have been praying for everybody and seeing God moving in their lives, answering question they have, and I have yet to see some of my own answered.  I think it is because I did not know what supplication meant--at least fully.  So after a much-needed talk today, I realized that I have not been continually petitioning God about my concerns, and I have instead been trying to figure them out on my own.  I have come up with ideas and plans about the way ahead and yet I still lack peace about the right direction to follow.

And so I realized, if I do not have peace about it, then that means that I have not heard from God on it, which means I have not brought it to Him enough that it is a priority for Him to answer me.  Or on the other hand, I could be so preoccupied with my plans, that I have not heard God's answer.  At any rate, I realized that I have not petitioned God enough on the things that have been bothering me, and so I have allowed the enemy to plant his seeds of doubt, whether it be through a trusted friend and their 'well-intentioned' advice or simply my being lost in the clouds.  The scripture above does not say sometimes or some things.  But it tells to be anxious for nothing--in layman's terms do not worry about a single thing, not the weather, not the future, not the past, not your family or friends, your job, NOTHING.  Then comes the but; I was once told that everything you say before a but is basically irrelevant--so your worries and concerns are irrelevant and meaningless in the face of continual prayer and petition.  If you constantly bring and leave your concerns at the throne of God, then God has room to work on them.  As long as you do not pick them back up again, God can move those mountains that you entrust to Him.  It is like the parable of the unjust judge and the persistent widow in Luke 18:2-8--she kept coming and coming and coming until he got tired and saw to it that she got the justice she sought.

Keep getting on your knees, keep falling on your face before God and see what He will do!

And the Lord said, "Hear what the unrighteous judge said; now, will not God bring about justice for His elect who cry to Him day and night, and will He delay long over them? "I tell you that He will bring about justice for them quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?"  Luke 18:6-8 NASB

1 comment:

learn to oil paint said...

I like your blog!...Daniel