Thursday, April 14, 2011

Daily Devotion

Faith to Believe in a Delay
 
"But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind."  James 1:6 NIV
 
Over the years that I have been experiencing health problems, I have worked to taper down the number of days each year that I get overwhelmed with sadness about my circumstances.  I spent a great deal of time going to spiritual groups, counseling, and just in prayer to reconcile my feelings about my life.  I even barely think about it now as I methodically put the pills I take day and night in their respective boxes each week.  But for some reason, I was just overcome with sadness this morning, not wanting to accept this as the plight for the rest of my life.  I read scriptures daily to reaffirm my faith and healing and I know that God is still healing people.  I have been praying for my healing since the day I was diagnosed with kidney disease, and with every subsequent diagnosis after that.  It is my avid daily prayer that God takes away all of the things I deal with.  I was reminded this morning of both David and Job, who endured trying situations at the hands of others, and in David's case, some of his own doing.  In both of their relationships, God allowed them to cry out to Him...and God proved Himself faithful, because He restored them both beyond belief.
 
David was chased by King Saul for many years, having to live in exile with his men.  It was during this time that some of the most heartfelt Psalms claim their origination.  I cannot imagine the emotions David felt at that time as he fled to cave and remote village alike in fear for his life, but I'm sure like me he cried out to God and said he could not take anymore.  All I know is that God restored the order in David's life--He brought David back to Israel and made him king!  That's better than restoration--God brought David from the bottom to the top!
 
Many of us know the story of Job...he lost everything including his health.  Even his wife wanted him to give up and curse God.  I felt like I could most closely relate to Job, because most of my problems I did not realize what I had done to contribute to their happening.  I often felt like there was some health miser that has a lottery ball full of issues that he randomly picks to pick on me with, hahaha.  But Job defended his innocence to his accusing 'friends' and even had the favor of hearing from God.  In the end, God restored everything Job lost times two...making him a 'greater man' than he was before (Job 42). 
 
James 1:6 above says "But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind."  The one thing I can say is that neither Job nor David wavered in their faith.  They believed beyond all reasonable doubt that God would hold true to His word and promises.  We are reminded of God's faithfulness in Numbers 23:19--"God is not a man, so he does not lie. He is not human, so he does not change his mind. Has he ever spoken and failed to act? Has he ever promised and not carried it through?"  God cannot tell a lie!  If He made a promise, it is what He will bring to pass.  So knowing this I hold on to the truths He gives me about all I have lost.  Even in Jeremiah 29:11, He says He has good plans for us--plans to give us hope and a future...and I know that does not only apply to eternity.  The enemy only inflicts us with memories of our afflictions and circumstances to defeat us right when our breakthrough awaits.  Just like Job's wife, he wants us to curse God and die, give up without realizing dreams, promises, and our futures.  I also know that God is not a respecter of persons, and can do the same things He did for both Job and David in my own life, if I just remain firm in my faith and hold on to the promises.  So when I get to the point of 'no more,' I can trust that He will very soon bring me justice. 
 
'Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath.  God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged.'  Hebrews 6:17-18 NIV

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is so good! Great message! If you haven't already, check out the new movie "Soul Surfer"... I just saw it today and it ties into this post sooo well!
God Bless.