Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Daily Devotion #4

Check Your Motives

“For the LORD sees clearly what a man does, examining every path he takes.” Proverbs 5:21

In college, I used to do people’s hair in my dorm to make extra money. Some of the girls were my friends, whose hair I did not mind doing at all, while others just became friends with me so that I would do their hair. Me, being kindhearted and just social, did not really realize that some people were only friends with me because of that. But I eventually got wise and stopped doing their hair. I have had several other situations like that where people became friends with me because of something I possessed or something that would help them get ahead in some way. I myself am guilty of becoming friends with people under the wrong pretenses. I felt convicted today because I was ready to just stop being friends with someone because of all the faults I found in that person…not searching my own.

The scripture above says that God sees everything that we do clearly—without blinders, knowing our every intention, desire, and purpose. God examines everything we do, and fortunately for me today, He will often convict us if we so desire that correction. Hebrews 4:13 says “And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.” So know that God sees all! You are only lying to yourself if you do not acknowledge your motives! Search yourself and look for the real reason you are doing something. Ask yourself as Job’s no-good friends asked him, ” Will it be well when He examines you? Or will you deceive Him as one deceives a man?” Job 13:9 Make sure that your motives are genuine, pure and of a loving heart…because God sees and knows everything!

“All a man's ways seem innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the LORD.” Proverbs 16:2

No comments: