Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Daily Devotion

Diarrhea of the Mouth

"Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut."  Proverbs 10:19 NLT

When I was a little girl, I talked a lot and very fast (at least that's what I was told, not sure how true it is).  I found it very hard to listen to other people intently and retain what they were saying at times.  However surprisingly I was able to pay attention in class and get very good grades.  I heard this "ailment" I had be referred to as diarrhea of the mouth.  A person with diarrhea of the mouth just talks and talks and talks about any and everything.  (Of course this did not fully apply to me because I talk, but not about everything.)  I frequently told other people growing up that they talked too much.

Now as an adult, I realize that there are things that I told that I should not have told.  You cannot tell people everything.  You cannot tell all the bad in your life, nor can you tell all of the good and blessings you have received.  Lets face it, there are two very true things in the world: misery loves company and there are some bitter and hateful people in the world.  So if you tell a miserable person all of your bad, they will say any and everything to make you stay in your pity party.  If you tell even the most happy person about your good, there is a chance a slight tinge of jealousy may strike them to say something negative about you.  Even if you are just a motor mouth that likes to gossip--well that's the sin right there.

I had to learn to be quiet and that not everyone has my best interest at heart.  Some of the people I have confided in have hurt me beyond belief and it has always been some variation of the truth.  It caused me to learn about people and to simply keep my mouth shut.  I've learned that you have to be mindful and inclined to follow your spirit of discernment as to who, what, and when you should share with people.  I have since learned to actually focus and listen...or to pour my heart out to my journal and God.

"Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry." James 1:19

No comments: