Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Daily Devotion

In the Nick of Time

"For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly."  Romans 5:6 NASB

You know, I never knew where the saying above came from.  So of course nerdy me :D, I looked it up.  In the 1580s, the phrase in the nick meant a precise moment in time.  Now it is interpreted to mean at the last minute.  So knowing the true meaning of this phrase, it now seems appropriate in describing how God works on our behalf. 

Well, I had been procrastinating on writing my essay for school.  I kept having writer's block and couldn't find the words to finish it.  I sat and looked at what I had written everyday for about two weeks.  It wasn't until I could clear away everything that had tried to distract me that I was able to remove that block.  Furthermore, I had to pray!  I felt helpless because I knew I needed to finish the essay; my very future depends on it.  You see, when God tells us or weighs on us to do something, we cannot expect to get rested until we obey.  So, I prayed that God anoint my creativity and give me the words to say. I submitted my essay at 4:59pm today...in the nick of time!  But it was the right time...for me, because I had to accept what God wants from me.

The scripture above says that while we were still helpless, AT THE RIGHT TIME Christ died.  My essay experience may be menial...but I was truly helpless.  I allowed everything going on at work, at home, and in my head to distract me from my assignment.  But God opened the door that the deadline was extended past the original deadline. 

Christ died for us to live.  Not just in the physical realm, but to live forever, eternally, with Him and God the Father.  He did not die too late, too early, but at the right time.  Don't allow the complexities of your life to keep you from being obedient.  Because unlike God, we can do things at the wrong times; date the wrong person at the right time and end up hurt, buy something we don't really need and cause ourselves an unnecessary bind, or going forward in something that you should maybe wait on.  God's time is the right time.

"For the vision is yet for the appointed time; It hastens toward the goal and it will not fail. Though it tarries, wait for it; For it will certainly come, it will not delay."  Habakkuk 2:3 NASB

No comments: