Monday, February 20, 2012

Today's Devotion

Time to Lift Your Anchor

"Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken."  Psalm 55:22

I know I have used this scripture before, but it is so appropriate.  For many days now it has been on my mind how often we let our regrets keep us anchored in the past.  I thought for a while of all the things I regret, most importantly, moving back to South Carolina.  But then I quickly remember how God allowed me to restore my relationship with my father, connect with and minister to my cousin and other family members, share my story (the part that so far has been written), experience true love (even if it was short-lived), and just grow in leaps and bounds.  My past few years have been like the pressure that carbon goes under to become a diamond, and I know I will shine once God is through with me.  I am sure every one knows what an anchor is, but for clarity's sake, I'll define it here:  An anchor is a device, normally made of metal, that is used to connect a vessel to the bed of a body of water to prevent the vessel from drifting due to wind or current.  (Thanks Wikipedia!) 

Many times in life we need an anchor and should be led of the Spirit to the correct ones.  The most important anchors include our faith, the Word of God, and His Spirit that all serve to keep us grounded in the truth of who God is and what plans He has for us.  However, there are times when our own negative meditations on the effects of past choices and decisions serve to sever us from our lifeline, our anchor in God.  We become so focused on what should, would or could have been had we not made that choice or on the more popular, 'I wish I'd never ____ (fill in what you wish you never had done, experienced, said, etc).  It is when we focus on the problem instead of finding the solution, through the heavenly direction only the Father can give, that we lose hope.  We become submerged, much like an anchor, into the miry clay that forms our past.  We take that same clay and build homes there, and reside in the pains of lost loves, lost jobs, failed families and relationships, until we are shaken to the core by a divine intervention.

Ships only drop anchor when they are at a port.  Usually in most cases, the porting of said ship is a temporary thing.  We are to revisit our past only for the purpose of forgiveness (be it ourselves or others) and to understand the lesson that God was teaching us.  Notice that when the ship's time to depart has come, the anchor is reeled up and the ship leaves to go to the next destination.  Do not allow your regrets to keep you bound to the place that God has already made provision for you to leave!  Your provision is in the death and resurrection, the extension of God's grace to you that insured your life.  Jesus died so that you can let go and go to the next place, the place He has prepared for you!  God promises to sustain you.

"Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this:"  Psalm 37:5 NIV
--
"No weapon formed against you shall prosper; and every tongue that rises against you in judgment you shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of God and their righteousness is of me," says the Lord.  Isaiah 54:17
http://lifeinspiredbygod.blogspot.com/

No comments: