Friday, December 21, 2012

Don't Be Fooled By Your Feelings

Even if we feel guilty, God is greater than our feelings, and he knows everything.
1 John 3:20

Feelings are the resulting state of consciousness associated with your emotions.  For example, we feel sad, happy, or angry, although sadness, happiness, and anger are the actual emotions.  If we are all honest with ourselves, we have had (or may still have) a tendency to allow our feelings to cloud our judgment and ultimately impact our decisions. 

You have to realize that our feelings, although they may seem valid at the time, can and will often lead us astray.  We often make emotional decisions that have no rational backing and we say things that we don't mean based on how we are feeling at that moment or about a particular person or situation.  In this lies our deception.  The enemy will plant words to keep us in that negative frame of mind.  For example, I'll share my one of my own experiences.

With my last official relationship, I kept feeling like I was quitting on the relationship every time I got the urge to break up with my ex.  My mind was telling me that it had to be me, that I was the problem.  However, as the months went by, those same urges would resurface and my feelings would say well, he will change or it will get better...NOT.  I know now that the uncertainty I felt in that relationship and in many situations since then was the Spirit trying to protect me from heartache.

I know it was God that led me to this scripture because I could not think of a scripture offhand that related to this topic. I'll break it down as it applies here.  Even if we feel guilty--if you feel like I did in that relationship; I felt guilty and that I was the problem as my mind told me--God is greater than our feelings!  God is greater than your guilt, which comes from that spirit of condemnation.  God is greater than your doubt, for example you doubting your achievement the successes God promised you.  God is greater than your hatred, the hatred that has kept you bound in unforgiveness and oppressed by generational curses.  God is greater than any emotion or feeling and thus He can provide you with clarity in the midst!!  What is even more assuring here is the reminder that He is the all-knowing, omniscient God, so His greatness is compounded in that fact.  God's knowing everything is the reason you should trust Him instead of your feelings because He knows where they can lead you and oftentimes will lead you astray.  God's omniscience will protect and deliver you the deception caused by your feelings.  And I must add that a key to success in this area is the continual, daily renewing of your mind (Romans 12:2).  Do not allow your feelings to mislead and misguide you anymore!

But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.  1 Corinthians 15:57 NASB

--
"No weapon formed against you shall prosper; and every tongue that rises against you in judgment you shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of God and their righteousness is of me," says the Lord.  Isaiah 54:17
http://lifeinspiredbygod.com/

No comments: