Thursday, November 11, 2010

Daily Devotion

Lest We Forget
 
"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast."  Ephesians 2:8-9
 
Hi everyone!
 
I've been getting a swift kick--dose of reality--lately for not being obedient to what I have been called to do.  But thank God for Jesus that He forgives me!  God knows that I will fall and He has definitely picked me back up time after time.  I was thinking today of all the times God has literally saved my life.  Most of you only know about my kidney transplant--but God has kept me from the grasp of the enemy many times before and after that.  As the scripture above says, it has been through the grace of God that I am alive.  I have had my spirit man murdered and revived, my soul and intellect assassinated, and experienced many a near-death situation.  But if it had not been for the grace of God--as the Amplified version puts it, that unmerited favor upon my life, I am sure I would not be here.
 
I think about this today because recently in the lives of those close to me and my own life, there have been many losses of life.  For me, this last year has been tumultous, with the death of my cousin to kick it off, following with the decline in health and passing of my daddy, to the death of my cousin's fiance', to now my mom's best friend and my aunt.  I recognized that God is a just God and I do not question His plan.  But instead, these things cause a reflection and remind me of all the blessings, the grace and mercy that He has shown to me.  Even when I don't deserve it, God has favored me.  I say this today because we live in a difficult world, where things closely mirror the wickedness illustrated in the times of Noah, where it is unrealistic to reach out to your brother or your sister and get love from them.  But lest we forget those personal struggles that God has delivered us from, lest we forget how we survived days, weeks, months, even years for some without ever having to want for anything.  Lest we forget, that ultimate sacrifice, the one that assures that we will see His glory someday.  I know after having a successful--wait, miraculous--kidney transplant, having survived near car crashes, near plane crashes, misdiagnoses, discouragement and doubt--I know that is nothing but God's grace; it is only His favor that keeps me going and covered in the midst of so much that hopes to see my failure.  Nothing that I have done can earn that grace; it is truly a gift!  Just as is being alive to live another day.
 
Remember who sits on the throne and don't forget what God has done for you.  You could so easily not be here tomorrow.
 
"So it is God who decides to show mercy. We can neither choose it nor work for it."  Romans 9:16

--
"No weapon formed against you shall prosper; and every tongue that rises against you in judgment you shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of God and their righteousness is of me," says the Lord.  Isaiah 54:17

No comments: