Monday, January 10, 2011

Daily Devotion

Divert Your Attention

"He comforts us whenever we suffer. That is why whenever other people suffer, we are able to comfort them by using the same comfort we have received from God."  2 Corinthians 1:4 GWT

Good evening everybody!! I tried to get this out before it became a new day.  Obviously you know by now that I learn something new every single day, and I thank God for it!!  So yesterday I was pretty sad because of all the difficulties I have been facing with replacing my car...and quite frankly I had been having a pity party.  Well so God will work on our behalf once we step out of His way.  I'm learning and accepting that as I seek Him for direction in regards to where I should go to get my new car.  I told all of my friends that pray for me of the disappointments I had so far.  God used my twin (smile Kia) to encourage me yesterday.  She is an awesome minister out in Memphis, TN that I attended college with.  Of course, Kia has a powerful testimony and with our roads running somewhat parallel to each other, it was her turn to give me some encouraging words.  You see, Kia is facing her own difficulties due to her own health issues.  But don't you know when you divert your attention from your own problems, you give God the go-ahead to go work for you?!  As she was sending me encouragement and interceding for me in prayer last night, God performed some miracles for her...which of course helped me see what she was saying to me all along.

I have looked at this scripture above in many different contexts now.  I see the comfort and used it in application to myself when my dad and cousin passed away.  I, in turn, thought about the things that I needed from people but did not get and gave that to my friends that lost loved ones recently.  But look at the latter part--whenever other people suffer.  Yesterday in my suffering, God kept my friend's focus diverted long enough to move some mountains for her.  And of course fortunately for me, I was able to see the lesson in all of it.  I'm going to divert my attention from my problems, my past, and my plans so that God can do His work.  By dwelling on what I do not have and what I cannot do, I am not looking at the blessings God has provided and the ones He will provide.  I was able to divert my attention long enough last night that God opened the door for me to have transportation for the week so that I do not have to rush and find a car.  God used other people to comfort me and in turn worked out things concerning them.  And we all know that God is not a respecter of persons so He can do the same for you and me.  Be encouraged and I pray that you renew your mind long enough to focus on your blessings and be a blessing to someone else so that God can turn around and perfect those things concerning you.  Love ya!

"Give your burdens to the LORD, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall."  Psalm 55:22 NLT

No comments: