Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Daily Devotion--9/29/2009 Devotion

Motivation

"Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently in the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing--he will be blessed in what he does." James 1:23-25

As I looked in the mirror at the pudge protruding from my midsection I cried out in utter horror, LORD I need to lose weight, I GOTTA work out. (Y'all know I'm dramatic so just imagine what this sounded like.) Now mind you, I have been PIGGING out all summer and only sported my two piece once because I didn't feel like having to go through all the motions with getting in the pool. So now I'm on a serious grind to work out, Slim Fast and all, to lose what I think is necessary. I made some progress, starting last Friday and continuing yesterday, especially after I ate so many mustard greens on Sunday I was nearly sick. I even went to bed before 12 last night and would have been on time to work were it not for my having to get labs.

I'm gonna stop right here. Because some of us have more motivation for losing weight, working, getting up on time in the morning than we do for spending time with God and doing His will. We want to do what WE want, not what HE says. I admit, I have probably been one of the most disobedient people in the last month than anyone. Sporadically reading, not really writing my devotions---yes I have reasons for my disobedience but excuses, which they are, do nothing for the fact that I should have done it. Don't allow your circumstances, because we all have them, to make you miss an opportunity for divine advancement. (MBP haha..copying and pasting this one into my personal quote file) All I can do now is drop to my knees and beg for God's forgiveness and trust that he will continue to guide me.(Psalm 32:8) That's the beautiful part of it all, God will forgive us. (1 John 1:9, Psalm 32:5) So now what? We need to put our lives into proper perspective: God, God's mission and purpose for your life, then whatever else you deem important--as long as it does not go against the word. My motivation is to please God with everything--my life, maintaining my health, blessing others and following His will for my life. (Matthew 6:33) Sometimes you need a little help from someone else--a motivation partner--and don't you know God is committed to that!! Jesus tells us in Matthew 28:20 that "...And remember, I am with you each and every day until the end of the age."(ISV)

So my current weight crisis fits right in as well as me setting new habits for myself; God and the mirror will motivate me to stay on track. Being obedient does not just include following God's will in your personal lives, but at work, at church, and in your entire life for that matter. Make sure you have the RIGHT motivation--pleasing God--not ANYTHING else!

"Therefore do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day." 2 Corinthians 4:16

Love ya!

No comments: