Friday, October 23, 2009

Daily Devotion

Crippled by the Past

"For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39

You wake up, and you remember what happened the last time. You either stumbled and misspoke, or if it was a test, you second-guessed yourself and marked the wrong answer. When you could have said something, you didn't. You didn't help someone that you could have helped, you didn't give when you could have given. And when that opportunity comes to you again, you freeze and sulk away in defeat. You allow the devil's tool of nervousness, his words of discouragement to shake your faith in yourself and your faith in what God says about you. Or even worse, you second-guess that you are not prepared to handle it. So you give up, concede defeat, and avoid that situation again. Don't be disobedient!

This is not the way to live! Believe me I know. In life God calls each of us for something. We may share the same callings, but our roads to get there are unique. I have a great friend that has been called into the ministry. She endured some of the same difficulties I went through while in college, for instance unknown illnesses, and disobeyed God's obvious instructions to her. And because of her choice not to follow His leading, she went in a circle to get back where He wanted her all along. After finishing school she will eventually become a pastor, and write the visions into the hearts of many. In my case, God has been telling me to write ever since I was young. I see the words flash before my eyes and hear the words over and over in my ears. Me feeling like that's not what I want to do, I ignored it; I also was disobedient when He told me to change my major junior year, but that's another story lol. But don't you know when God places something in your heart and spirit, you will eventually do it. I have written a little bit here and there, then I will stop for months at a time. I guess that's why the devotions come naturally for me--its part of God's will for my life. I have been avoiding writing like the Plague, and of course in the midst of the disobedience I have been realizing my other callings. Yet until I am obedient and do what He says--and that means going in His order, nothing will truly manifest about the other plans God has for me.

Don't be disobedient! Its so much easier for you to simply listen the first time around. Our stubborn human minds prevent us sometimes from the fulfillment of such greatness that we cannot often fathom it. Often after that, we are faced with things that are for our preparation and chastisement at the same times. But remember Paul's words to Timothy in this verse: "For this reason I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day." 2 Timothy 1:12-13. God promises to hear our cries, but it is not one-sided. We must not let our failures in the past cripple what He wants us to be doing. We must not let distractions and road blocks thrown by the devil keep us confused and uncertain of the path He wishes for us to take. Be determined to overcome and rest on the word of God. Don't be anxious to do your own thing or go about life your own way, because along the road are things that will cripple us. Remember God's grace is sufficient!(2 Cor 12:9) Be blessed!

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things." Philippians 4:6-8

No comments: