Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Daily Devotion

Focus

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:18

Wait wait wait!! I apologize but the devil is a liar!! I tried to find an easy way to send these and block-copied email addresses only for my phone to truncate them. I just realized all my devotions from last week were not posted or emailed out to everyone! But I'm even more focused and renewed to keep writing them! I'm also going to post all the missed ones too.

As I try not to cough because my throat hurts badly, I realize that I can only look straight ahead--my eyes hurt whenever I try to look in any other direction than straight so I have to turn my head a lot or just close my eyes. My equilibrium is off thanks to this sinus bafoolery but the irony of it all, I had an epiphany and revelation all at once: STRAIGHT-AHEAD is where I should be looking, STRAIGHT-AHEAD is where I should be focused. I haven't had a sinus infection in over 2 years because I was always able to catch them and head it off. Unfortunately I was sorely unprepared and focused on the fun I was gonna (and did) have at homecoming. It was on that long rainy ride back to my parents that it hit me. When I got home, I tried to take something but it didn't help at all!

Focusing is not always an easy thing to do, and for several reasons. Namely, because there are many things to distract us from the tasks that God gives us, being obedient, or following through with things we should be doing. The devil sends in his imps of despair, depression, disgust, and self-loathing to blind you from appreciating what you do have. Fortunately, we are saved and redeemed because of God!(Romans 8:24) God can lead us back to where we are supposed to be, He can refocus our attention upward and on Him. He promises to guide us--and sometimes that leading is not so gentle to get you back on track.(Proverbs 4:11, Psalm 25:5)

So maybe my being able to only look in the direction my head is turned is a blessing in disguise. At least I will be able to ignore the sideways attempts of those that wish to distract me from God's plan for my life. Maybe if we all apply this kind of thinking and have that "tunnel vision", we can stay focused on the path that lies ahead. Be blessed! Love always!

"Do you have contempt for God, who is very kind to you, puts up with you, and deals patiently with you? Don't you realize that it is God's kindness that is trying to lead you to him and change the way you think and act?" Romans 2:4 GWT

No comments: