Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Daily Devotion

Guard your Tongue!

Hey everyone!  Still morning over here and I'm drying out.  My face is falling off lol.  My skin is flaking extremely bad and the seb derm is out of control--looks like I will be using my medicine ASAP if I am able to leave on Thursday lol. I've been at work since 7:30 and I'm a little irritable. So I'm trying to stay in prayer and not let these "people" get me so angry that I lash out.  Walking in God's love is not always easy and they are not making it any easier for me.

We all get like that and have days that if someone says the wrong thing the wrong way at the wrong time we would literally bite their heads off. We try to keep our distance but they invade our personal space and just warrant a verbal thrashing. I want you to stop once you recognize what type of day this may be and pray!
 
Proverbs has several scriptures on watching what you say. But this one stuck out:
  • Proverbs 14:3:  A fool's mouth lashes out with pride, but the lips of the wise protect them.
These were also very helpful in refocusing my thoughts:
  • Proverbs 13:2-3:  From the fruit of their lips people enjoy good things, but the unfaithful have an appetite for violence.  Those who guard their lips preserve their lives, but those who speak rashly will come to ruin.
  • Proverbs 18:20-21:  From the fruit of their mouths people's stomachs are filled; with the harvest of their lips they are satisfied.  The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

Powerful words these are!  The consequences are potentially lethal and deadly if you say something harsh with no recourse for how it's taken.  Life and death rely on what you say so you can potentially speak something over yourself in lashing out at anyone!  Our words condemn us!

  • "If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless." (James 1:26)
  • "I will guard my ways, Lest I sin with my tongue; I will restrain my mouth with a muzzle, While the wicked are before me" (Psalms 39:1).
  • "With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so" (James 3:9-10).
  • "The hypocrite with his mouth destroys his neighbor... "(Prov. 11:9).
  • "Whoever guards his mouth and tongue Keeps his soul from troubles" (Prov. 21:23).
  • "Who is the man who desires life, And loves many days, that he may see good? Keep your tongue from evil, And your lips from speaking deceit" (Psa. 34:12-13).
  • "But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned" (Matt. 12:36-37).

I pray that these words ease your minds and encourage you today.  Don't allow someone to have that much power over you.  Remember He who angers you controls you!!!  Let your pray be based upon these words instead:  "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, 0 LORD, my strength and my Redeemer" (Psa. 19:14).  "Hide Your face from my sins, And blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, 0 God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me" (Psa. 51:9-10).  Love you!

http://enterthemindofmarquita.blogspot.com

"The joy of the Lord is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10


Marquita B. Priester

No comments: