Thursday, August 20, 2009

Daily Devotion

Die to Self Everyday

"[I assure you] by the pride which I have in you in [your fellowship and union with] Christ Jesus our Lord, that I die daily [I face death every day and die to self]." 1 Cor 15:31 AMP

Hey! Hope today is hot and not rainy. Well not too hot either. I have been reading the Purpose-Driven Life with one of my best friends and I actually recommend anyone who is serious about getting closer to God to read it as well. I recognize a lot of lessons in it that I have learned or am learning and it's pretty straight-forward reinforcement. Yesterday's reading talked about surrendering your life to God. More clearly what stuck out was the reference to the verse above. I die daily.

I'm not going to lie and say I like the thought of this but to truly know God and to trust Him in spite of EVERYTHING requires this. I was ANGRY when I read this! I was having a bad day after lunch(some thought had come to mind--yet I didn't recognize the word that caused it to kill it so I was stuck). Then reading this--yes I needed to read it but that didn't mean I couldn't get mad!

Daily death. Kill selfishness, self-centeredness, controlling thoughts, etc. There are simply some things that God did not equip us to do and that's what He wants us to come to Him for! But this is hard! If you wake up nearly everyday and you choose, "Hmmm, I think I'll cook my breakfast today. I'll wear that black shirt or those jeans..." You have "control" and you decide what you want to do in regards to what time to go to work...blah! But those real decisions and choices in life are influenced by who you serve. Do you serve yourself and think selfishly or do you serve God?

Dying to self is a hard thing to do and I think that's why Paul says he had to do it daily. Remember that your life is not about you. Remember that the choices you make affect those around you. Remember that in the midst of your complaining, God has you at that point for some reason you may or may not know yet, but in the end it will make you better and get you to that place where God can elevate you. All difficulty is only temporary. If no one else you can trust Him. Let it go. Die to self today and give up whatever is on your heart. He will work it out! If you believe that, then what are you afraid of???

http://enterthemindofmarquita.blogspot.com/

"The joy of the Lord is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10
Marquita B. Priester

No comments: