Sunday, August 23, 2009

Daily Devotion

The Courage to Change the Things You Can

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

What a powerful prayer! In it's simplicity, this prayer evokes acceptance and peace, courage, and wisdom.

A little background on the Serenity Prayer: actually, the author is unknown, but credits are often given to Dr. Reinhold Niebuhr. He brought the poem to the attention of one of the co-founders of Alcoholics Anonymous. It is upon reading the entire prayer that the purpose of life to take it as it is and simply change what you can, go along with what you can't and be wise enough to know that there are definite differences. We must be strong and know that all things are possible through Christ's sacrifice(Phi 4:13, Eph 6:13). We must know that God has a plan for us and will work it all out(Romans 8:28). Jeremiah 29:11 says "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." If this is declared in the Word, how hard can it be for us to simply acknowledge this and change what we can? Recognize those things and make moves!

Be blessed...

Here is the full version of the prayer below:

God grant me the Serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference;

Living one day at a time;
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
Taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it:

Trusting that you will make all things right
if I surrender to your will;
that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with you forever in the next.

No comments: