Sunday, August 30, 2009

Daily Devotion

A Dream Deferred

1 Corinthians 2:9
However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him"--

Sometimes I wish life was predictable. Then I could halfway expect or know what's gonna happen. Then I would have seen that I was gonna stay in the bed long, watch most of Creflo's sermon about faith--which actually tied in with what I heard today. But I'm glad its not predictable, because it wouldn't have the same effect. I was greatly affected by the sermon given today at my home church by a visiting minister from Liberia, West Africa. As you all know, I have been avidly pursuing finding a job in Atlanta, because of my feeling that my time has ended there and my general dislike for Charleston. I was a much happier person in many ways in Atlanta, and there is no saying that I will not be moving back, I just don't know when. But contrary to my wants and desires, God sees fit to leave me in Charleston for the time being, for what exactly I don't know. Its from this and the revelation I received at today's services that I take my devotion for today.

I, unlike no other person, would love to have all the good things that life has to offer. I would love to be able to pick out the things I want to go through in life. I would love to just pick up and leave Charleston today and have a job to start on Monday. But as I have learned, life is not like that. The pastor from today gave a very powerful sermon on Genesis 22--where Abraham was challenged to sacrifice the very son that he and Sarah prayed to God so earnestly for. Trusting and believing God as He spoke His wishes must have been very painful and confusing to Abraham. Now I'll stop here and relate this to the other sermon I listened to this morning. Creflo spoke of the different levels of faith--All of which Abraham had achieved, and many of the other great men and women in the Bible--but the one that he was speaking on today was the faith to be able to have confidence in the Word of God that is spoken to us (loose paraphrase lol). But Abraham had to trust that God knew what He was asking him and go forward and do it. Tying this to my own life, instead of dwelling on the whys of what happened with the job--I had been persistent in reiterating my interest by calling and emailing different things I had done to progress in my development at my current job--all things I had done to make myself seem the best candidate. Yet, I realized today during the sermon that God sometimes sends you somewhere (or makes you stay somewhere in my case) to prepare you for elevation. During that preparation time, He tests us and tests us and if we pass those tests, He gives us more responsibility and promotes us to be better equipped to continue to exalt Him. In my stubbornness, I have to step back and remember that this is not for me, but for God's glory and that in my choice to yield to His will, I have to wait until He prepares the way and tells me it is time to go as well as fulfill the things here that He wants me to do.

1 Peter 1:7--The purpose of these troubles is to test your faith as fire tests how genuine gold is. Your faith is more precious than gold, and by passing the test, it gives praise, glory, and honor to God. This will happen when Jesus Christ appears again. (GWT)
See also James 1:2-4

So because I choose to present you all with a problem and a possible solution to that problem, the problem that I see for myself is that I desire to move because I feel its time for me to leave. I'll admit, I am sometimes impatient, I want things when and how I want them, and sometimes I am selfish but ask yourself, is there a point in your life that you have not exhibited these characteristics yourself? The generalized problem is sometimes we desire things that may not be good for us ever or in God's will for us at that time--and because we are sometimes selfish in nature, when we want it, we want it right then. In your case, you could be desiring a new job, a husband, a child, a new car...etc., but ask yourself--are you truly trusting God? Are you doing what you should as far as listening and yielding to God? Are you doing what God has asked you to do? Sometimes God will put us through difficult situations for refinement. Sometimes things will be hard and you will have the choice to be obedient and receive the blessings that are promised.

Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.(NIV) Deuteronomy 31:8
The LORD is the one who is going ahead of you. He will be with you. He won't abandon you or leave you. So don't be afraid or terrified.(GWT)

Back to my title, A Dream Deferred. You must be willing to put your dreams and wishes on hold sometimes because they may not be in God's will for you at that particular time. But rest assured because if you put your faith and trust in Him, He will give you the desires of your heart.(Psalm 37:4-5) Don't be a part-time Christian! Be blessed and I love you!

No comments: